Dec 1, 2009

Soule Restaurant: Christmas in the City


The Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular.

It's like Rockefeller Center; synonymous with Christmas in New York. I've always wanted to go, but tickets are pretty expensive.

And so, bubbling with excitement, I rushed to the office to call my brother Alex after being handed a discount card with ticket codes that gave 50% off.

"We can get tickets to Radio City's Christmas Spectacular for just $50!"

"You're on your own, son."

"Huh?"

"The Christmas Spectacular doesn't even have a story line. It's just a lot of holiday crap thrown together. "

I hung up, pretty dejected. It would've been such a nice addition to our family holiday outing.

Maybe I could persuade Alex if I got my other brother Richard on-board. I'll just plan the entire day first so they'll both see how exciting this outing will be.

We'll meet at the ice skating rink at 42nd Street, Bryant Park. The line to ice skate is usually about 2-hours long, but it's fun with all the kids. We'll skate for maybe an hour. If we start at noon, we'll be done by 3pm. The exertion from skating is warming but my hands always remain cold. Hot chocolate warms them nicely, immediately afterwards.

This year, I want to add Toys R Us to our itinerary. They have a life-size dinosaur replica from Jurassic Park that moves and roars and menaces the crowd.

It's so cool.

The ferris wheel is pretty corny, but we have to ride it.

'Cause it's THERE.

My absolute favorite part of the 42nd Street Toys R Us is the CANDY section! It's like being in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory with machines filled with giant Gummy Snakes and Swedish Fish and Sour Power and Chocolate Turtles and Raisinettes and Goobers and Skittles and M&Ms and anything else you can think of! And they have lollipops as big as our heads!

Okay… deep breath.

We’ll go to Toys R Us.

After Toys R Us, we'll head uptown to take pictures by the Rockefeller Center tree and angels. Then we'll watch Saks Fifth Avenue's snowflake light show before crossing Fifth Avenue to check out their storybook windows.

They're always pretty cool.

From Saks, we'll head further uptown, over to 56th and 5th, where we can check out the beautiful Tiffany Snowflake, suspended at the intersection, high above the street.

FAO Schwartz is right around the corner from Tiffany's. They have the coolest toys... Even a working Lamborghini for kids!! Of course we're not in the market for these $40,000 toys, but we'll stop and play a bit.

By my calculations, it should now be around 8:00pm. I'll have to find a restaurant in this vicinity with a private room that's large enough to hold us all. With my brothers and sister and kids, there will be a minimum of 16 people.

We'll be done with dinner by... Well, by then it'll be way too late for the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular.

Yet, I'm not all that disappointed... Anymore.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment